Sunday 8 December 2013

Eighth Interlude - Part Eight

“Why?” the first voice asks, “What was so bad about that?”

“The reactor was still running,” Castor replies, “I know it was at half power, but it was still running. There seemed to be no awareness of safety protocols whatsoever. And that was just the start.”

“How do you mean, just the start?” the second voice shudders through her.

“Well, to begin with, they were still following their original timetable,” she tells them. “The emergency systems shouldn't have been turned off before the reactor had shutdown. Then the day shift ended, the evening shift came on, and they didn't seem to know anything about a shutdown at all.”

“Did you take any action when you discovered this?”

“I did,” Castor confirms, “I approached the plant's Chief Executive with my concerns.”

“How did he react?”


“As if I wasn't real,” she says, “He sang me a song and drew a field of daisies.”

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.