Monday 9 December 2013

Eighth Interlude - Part Nine

“He did what?” Castor can't be sure, but the question rumbles and resonates so deep that she thinks both hooded creatures asked it in unison.

“I don't think the song was for me,” she tells them. “I went to his office and knocked. There was no reply, but I was sure I could hear a voice, a sort of singing, so I pushed the door open and there he was.”

“The Chief Executive?” the first voice asks. “How did he react to you?”

“Well, that's just it,” she replies, “I don't think he did.”

“Explain.” That was definitely both of them, firm and demanding.

“He was hunched over his desk,” she says, “The way a child might when they want to hide what they're doing. When I looked closer, I saw that he was drawing on the cover of a file marked “Eyes Only”. And he was singing.”

“What?” the second voice asks, “What was he singing?”


“I'm not sure,” she says, “A nursery rhyme of some sort, I think. But I hardly recognised the language. I think it was one of the old tongues, but I couldn't be sure.”
Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.