Saturday 1 October 2011

Interlude Part Seven


 The house is quiet for a while, only the tock of the kitchen clock cutting through her silent anxiety. She rubs her hands together, just touch something comforting than anything else.

Unable to help herself, Linda walks towards the dining room, straining to her. She almost jumps out of her skin when she hears Nathan screaming “There's not enough to go round!” This is followed by a slapping sound, then a loud dull bang. She races forward, reaching for the door as she hears sounds of a scuffle and Brittany saying “Give me that!” through gritted teeth.

As Linda pushes the door open she sees her drop Nathan's phone on the ground and repeatedly stamp on it, while Nathan is sprawled on the carpet.

“What are you doing?” Linda screams at her. “I thought you were going to help, not assault him!”

“Mum?” She looks round at her son, shaking his head as if dizzy. She rushes over to him, helping him sit up.

“Are you okay?”

“I'm fine,” he replies. “How did I get down here? I thought the twins weren't coming until next week.”

“Sorry about the phone,” says Brittany. “The only way to be sure. Thanks for the tea, but I'd best be on my way.” She pulls her belt tight and walks towards the door. “Might have another one of these in Northampton. Or was it Nottingham. I'm sure it started with an N...”

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.