Friday 25 April 2014

Ninth Interlude - Part Ten

“Rattus,” she says with a hint of condescension, “You don't mind if I call you that, do you?”

“It is my name,” he replies tersely.

“Rattus, I think you may be over thinking this situation. Your species is acting out of character, which has upset you. I understand that. But you have to understand, that is what happens when the Weft touches the Warp like this.”

“Not out of character,” he snaps, struggling to contain his rage. “These rats are acting against their very basest nature. It must not....it cannot be allowed to spread.”

“I think you'll find it takes a little more to change the nature of a species than that.”

“Does it?” he spits, “Does it really? Today I have witnessed my kind sacrifice themselves for the greater good. That's not rats. What does a rat do, first and foremost, before anything else?”

“I don't know,” she replies with an irritated sigh, “Why don't you tell me.”


“I will,” he says with certainty, “A rat survives.”

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.