Saturday 18 January 2014

Episode 9 - Chapter 13

It was only when I finished speaking that I realised I was shaking. I tried to take a deep breath and gather my wits.

That's what this is, isn't it?” I demanded of Oak, gesturing at the ceiling above us. “Another trick? More sleight of hand or random distraction to keep us in a state of panic.”

Why would I do such a thing?” Oak asked calmly. “The last thing I want is for you to panic.”

The creaking, meanwhile, was getting louder. It seemed as though it was moving through our whole house, no longer confined to the upper floor it felt like it had spread to the walls around us and the floor below.

Really?” I said, trying to keep the shrill tone out of my voice. “This is how you operate, isn't it?”

You have to admit, she has a point,” my husband added, calmer than I would have expected.


Before Oak could reply, we heard a loud thump coming from the top of the stairs, quickly followed by a second.

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.