Friday 24 January 2014

Episode 9 - Chapter 19

Mary....” my husband cautioned in that slow steady voice of his, “What are you doing with that knife?”

I glanced at the blade in my hand, then looked Oak in the eye. “I'm not sure yet,” I said flippantly, taking a step into the room. “I'll let you know when I am.”

Maybe you should just put it down,” he replied, shuffling towards me.

The sounds from upstairs stopped for a moment, quickly followed by the creaking of the bannister where it meets the landing.

No,” I said, my eyes once more flicking upwards, “I don't think I should.”

Don't get me wrong, I knew full well how I looked, knife in hand. But I'd had my fill of feeling mucked about, at that point I simply didn't care.

From the top of the stairs we heard a new thud, as whatever was up there began to descend. The sound distracted Edward for a moment, so I seized my chance. I raced forward to Oak's chair, bringing the blade to his neck.


“Tell me now,” I demanded, “Once and for all, is this your doing?”

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.