Wednesday 19 February 2014

Episode 9 - Chapter 45

“Once and for all,” Oak said hurriedly, “If that is the Forest, I know nothing about it.” He was sat quite still, though his binds gave him very little room to manoeuvre, but his eyes darted round the room in something of a frenzy. From Mary to myself, the ceiling, the door, the floor, then the window and back to Mary. It seemed as if he was trying to absorb every detail in the room before my wife did anything else.

For her part, my wife just stood there, blinking in confusion. As the knife slipped from her fingers and clanged to the floor, I wasn't entirely convinced she knew where she was.

“Mary?” I inquired softly, retrieving the blade before touching her arm gently. “Mary? Are you still with us?”

For just a moment the house felt at peace, before another thump from the stairs broke the moment, giving my wife a little shock.


“Still here,” she replied, regaining her composure, “Definitely still here.”

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.