Thursday 7 August 2014

Episode 10 - Chapter 88

 I was about to pull open that first cupboard door when a huge wave of anxiety swept through me. What on earth were we doing down there, searching for midgets that might look like anything? What did we think we were going to do if we found them? What were they going to do if we didn't? A thousand doubts raced through my mind, each jostling for my attention, each suggesting ever greater dire consequences. I might have stood there for hours if I hadn't heard my wife shout from the upper floor.

“Get a grip, man,” I muttered to myself, finally grabbing hold of the handle.

“Are you feeling okay, Edward?” Oak asked, ripping open a fourth box. I have to say, he was being very methodical in his approach to our search: lifting down a box, opening it cautiously, checking the contents then stacking it neatly against the adjacent wall.

“Fine,” I said, pulling open the door to find myself confronted by the shiny glint of Christmas tinsel and a box full gaudy tree decorations. “Just fine.”


I paused then, sure I'd heard a tiny grunting sound somewhere above me, followed by the sound of cardboard rubbing against cardboard. Looking up, I saw the top box on a pile of four teetering unsteadily above me. “Oh no,” was all I could manage before the box slipped from its' mount and plunged towards me.

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.