Friday 15 August 2014

Episode 10 - Chapter 96

 Everything stopped, the whole room frozen, as if time had actually stopped. Literally, the tick-tock of the mantlepiece clock fell silent, motes of dust hung in the air, glistening and still.

Fiona stood in the centre of the living room, arms reaching out, a strange blue glow alive in her eyes. “I don't know what your master had planned,” she said, “But it wont be happening today.”

I glanced round the room to see who she was addressing, actually rather surprised to find that I could move at all. I saw my husband, rubbing his wrists, obviously feeling that same sense of shock. When he caught my look his eyebrows arched, as if to ask “What now?” When I looked away I caught sight of Robert, mouth open, watching his wife with astonishment. Beyond him were Raven and Oak, both glued to the spot, expressions fixed upon their faces.

That was when I realised our living room was also home to three other figures, tiny and wisp like. Were these the three midgets that combined to make Strauss? They were the right height, certainly, but so thin they were barely there at all, with no real distinguishing features. Locked in the moment, they were caught running toward each other, arms outstretched, holding shiny silver gizmos.

I didn't know what might happen next, but I certainly wasn't expecting the walls to darken, nor for the nub of that candle abandoned on our table to spring in to flame.


“We have reached our decision,” the voice of Fire crackled and raged, filling the room.

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.