Sunday 2 March 2014

Episode 9 - Chapter 56

 “Mary?” I called to my wife in the hall. “Are you okay? What is it? What can you see?”

The silence hung heavy when she didn't reply, all I could hear was the racing beat of my own heart. “Mary?” I called again, cold anxiety slithering through me. I looked at Oak, who returned my questioning glance with his usual blank response. “Mary?!” I shouted a final time, really quite desperate now. “What can you see?”

“Nothing,” she replied, stepping back into the living room looking oddly deflated, as if all the fire had been sucked out of her in those few short moments. “There's nothing out there.”

“Nothing....?” I asked, surprised. “Well what was all that banging?”

“I'll be damned if I know,” she said flatly, “But there's nothing there now. Perhaps Mister Oak can shed some light on what's going on?”


We both turned to face our guest, only to find a curious look of concentration on his face. “Shush,” he said, touching his finger to his lips, “Can you hear that?”

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.