Tuesday 8 July 2014

Episode 10 - Chapter 58

 “What?” Mary exclaimed, “Now just you wait one minute!”

A sudden sharp pain in my forehead brought my hand up to sooth it. At that moment, I would rather have been anywhere but in that room.

“It makes sense, does it not?” Oak continued, oblivious to the fury building behind my wife's eyes. “This house is much too big for just the two of you. Your children are grown now, they've long since left your nest. What need have you for so much space?”

I closed my eyes, still rubbing my head, bracing myself for the tirade that was surely about to follow. So I was surprised when it was Fiona's voice I heard next.

“Nobody needs to move anywhere,” she said, “But you might learn to keep your counsel to yourself.”

I opened my eyes a fraction, squinting through my fingers, to see Fiona addressing Oak, her hand laid gently on Mary's arm.


That was the moment that the cats decided to put in an appearance.

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.