Thursday 24 July 2014

Episode 10 - Chapter 74

 “I will accompany you, if I may?” Oak said to Dad.

“Um....okay,” Dad replied, looking a bit startled and uncomfortable. “It's this way,” he continued, leading Oak out into the hallway.

“I am aware of the layout of your house...” I heard Oak say, the end of his sentence drowned out by the scrape of the cellar door opening. That's not a partnership made in heaven, I couldn't help thinking, there'll be trouble there soon enough.

“Perhaps you and I should search the upper floor,” Raven said to Mum before I could voice my concern.

“What a good idea,” Mum responded, stepping into the hallway. “After you,” she said, at the foot of the stairs, followed by the trudge of two pairs of feet ascending.

Which left Fiona and I, stood in my parent's living room. It was then that I was struck by the alarming notion that I really didn't know what to say to my own wife. Thankfully, it was she who broke the silence before it got too uncomfortable.

“Be a love,” she said with a warm smile, a smile that brought with it an unexpected feeling of relief, “Go and have a quick look in the kitchen, just to be on the safe side.”


So that's what I did.

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.