Friday 25 July 2014

Episode 10 - Chapter 75

 I led Oak out of the living room, into the hallway, pausing at the cellar door. It was only as I reached inside to turn the light on that I remembered the bulb had gone.

“Bugger,” I muttered, turning to go back to the kitchen to fetch a torch.

“Allow me,” Oak said, producing a crystal the size of a child's fist from one of his many pockets. He shook the crystal vigorously, held it to his ear, then sniffed it.

“An hour or more,” he said, tapping it with his index figure, “That should allow us plenty of time.”

To my astonishment, the crystal began to glow. At first it held a dull, weak light that barely illuminated his finger tips, but as the seconds passed the light grew stronger and stronger, until it shone with the light of a hundred watt bulb.

“Shall we?” he asked, taking the lead into the dark stairs down to the cellar.

I felt like I wanted to apologize for the mess we'd find down there, despite the fact that it wasn't our fault. I was about to say so, when a quick glance ahead revealed the cellar to be perfectly neat and tidy.


“I think we should proceed with caution,” I said to Oak as I placed my hand on his shoulder, “Something untoward has been going on down here.”

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.