Tuesday 29 July 2014

Episode 10 - Chapter 79

 Finally, we'd almost reached the top of the stairs. Despite his words and foreboding demeanour, I couldn't help but think Raven was being overly cautious during that long climb. Though it had probably seemed longer to me, each step accompanied by a pause, because my view ahead was blocked by his broad shoulders.

One stair short of the top he came to a dead stop, looking straight ahead. He made a noise, a kind of “Humph,” but I thought he's said something important.

“Pardon?” I asked, “What did you say?”

“Stay behind me,” he replied sternly, “And don't move until I say.”

As he took the final step, I saw what had caused him such alarm. There, in the middle of the landing, very neatly folded, sat a tiny pair of trousers. Raven stepped forward, brandishing a pencil he'd retrieved from his pocket. I moved to follow him, receiving a stern look for my trouble.


“No,” he said, wagging an admonishing finger, “Just stay where you are.” I did as he commanded, watching as he carefully bent forward to poke at the discarded garment.

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.