Thursday 31 July 2014

Episode 10 - Chapter 81

 Small, shiny and, so it seemed, freshly polished shoes, just sat there. I picked them up cautiously, with a single finger and thumb, not really sure what I was holding.

“Be on your guard,” I heard Fiona shout from the living room, “They may have changed their appearance.”

Leaving the shoes on the kitchen counter for a moment, I opened the back door and stuck my head out into the fresh, early morning air. The sky was still dark, a tiny sliver of something brighter struggled to make itself felt over to the East.

“Christ!” I remember thinking, “Have we been at this all night?”


I scowled at the shadows in mum and dad's back garden, unable to decipher any detail at all, just blobs of darkness and darker still. I briefly contemplated taking a walk round the bushes, but felt that might be foolish without a weapon of some kind. So discretion won the day. I returned to the kitchen, locked the door behind me, collected the shows and returned to my wife.

Creative Commons Licence
Twixt the Warp and the Weft by Gavin White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.